Green leaves and colorful blooms naturally inspire thoughts of new growth and fresh beginnings. When summer arrives, shake off the cool spring air and embrace the sunshine. If you’re looking for a way to usher in the new season, bring it home by creating indoor, balcony, or patio gardens. You can find all the supplies you need at these Arlington Heights garden centers. Best of all, you can find great inspiration for your gardening at our Arlington Heights apartments.
Consider Your Apartment Space and Home Decor Goals
To start, think about what you want from your indoor plants. Are you looking for some tasty herbs to add to your favorite recipes or flowers that will display lots of colors? Check out the gardening tips and techniques at the Chicago Botanical Museum’s website for ideas on selecting, planting, and caring for indoor plants.
You can plant herbs in a container on your countertop, if you like. You can also add color to your rooms with hanging baskets. Or, you can create container gardens of any size to spruce up tables, balconies, or doorsteps.
Keep These Indoor Garden Tips In Mind
- Sunlight — As you consider what to grow, look at recommendations for how much sunlight plants need. Some need hours of full sunlight each day, while others can thrive in shade.
- Use potting mix, not garden soil — Soil isn’t suited for garden containers because it packs down easily and has poor aeration. Potting mix works better and is generally free from contaminants.
- Water — Your indoor plants, and even outdoor ones, will need to be watered often. You’ll want a plate or waterproof surface underneath each pot, since it will drain each time you water your plants.
Get Help and Supplies
Another great source of advice is your local garden shop. The staff will tell you what grows best indoors, when to use seedlings, what container sizes you need, and what supplies you should have on hand.
Here are three Arlington Heights garden centers near our apartments:
- Knupper’s Flower and Garden (1979 Rand Road in Palatine). Knupper’s is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily. It carries all the supplies you need to start your indoor garden. Take a look at the website for ideas and advice!
- Pesche’s Garden Center and Flower Shop (170 S River Road, Des Plaines). Pesche’s is open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Sundays. It also offers curbside pickup and delivery. With nine acres of greenhouses, Pesche’s offers great floral selections and all the supplies you need for your indoor or patio plants. Take a look at its blog posts for inspiration, such as this one on growing herbs and vegetables in a container garden.
- Lurvey Garden Center (2550 East Dempster Street, Des Plaines). Lurvey is open from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on weekdays, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturdays, and from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sundays. It also offers curbside pickup and delivery. Check out its library of online resources, with plenty of indoor plant ideas.
Bringing plants into your apartment living space has many benefits. Plants improve air quality, promote healing, and inspire feelings of wellbeing. As your plants blossom, you may find yourself growing and thriving, too!
If you need the perfect indoor space to start your new garden, contact us. At Hancock Square at Arlington Station, we offer everything you need for a fulfilling life. For more lifestyle tips and community activities, visit our blog today.